Monday, February 20, 2012

I got the Job



Getting a post graduate job can be quite challenging and time consuming. I finally landed my post grad job, granted its not the most amazing job but it is a step in the right direction.

 I found the key to getting my job was making the effort to go to the job location with a hard copy of my resume, and speak to the owner / manager in person. I didn't over dress, just smart casual and I made up a high quality print of my resume booklet to leave with them. I didn't take my portfolio with me, I offered to email it to them if they where interested. By doing this I received the bosses direct email and with that a direct line of communication to the boss. Another good aspect to this was giving them a copy of my portfolio without having to leave the hardcopy book with them as I only have one.

At the interview I brought my portfolio book with me and I dressed fairly formal. 
They told me they where impressed with my initiative in getting out and finding a job and not just roboticly responding to a job add. They didn't have the job advertised because when they do advertise, they get flooded with tones of graduates resumes which doesn't really impress them.

So future designers out there...
Get out there and find yourself a job!
Design yourself a sheet to keep track of where your local printers and design firms are, note there email and phone number and contact them. If they don't flat out tell you there not interested go to them and give them your resume. Keep track of where your resume goes and who you visit and follow up with them after 2 weeks. 

Don't loose hope! 
It takes time and a little vague harassment to get you the job your after!

Be persistent and  soon you will get what your after, employers are much happier to employ someone who wants the job instead of someone who answers to an ad.

No comments:

Post a Comment